New and Noteworthy
Recent Videos News

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How to avoid getting copyright claims on YouTube
10-25-2012, 01:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 10:26 AM by Truthordeal.)
How to avoid getting copyright claims on YouTube
So, I'm sure for anyone who's ever made a parody, AMV, review or whatever has had an run-in with YouTube's "amazing" copyright system by which "that" video you've spent hours upon hours making is suddenly taken down due to a claim from "Random Company that rapes puppies for fun" or something along those lines, which could even result in you getting your account suspended if you get enough claims. Luckily there are ways to avoid getting these claims, or at the very least, decrease the chances of getting one.

This is not a guide of how to dispute copyright claims, since I see truth has already provided a fantastic guide of how to get through that. This will be a guide of how to avoid getting claims altogether, which I don't see.

Now before I start I thought I'd just give a disclaimer. As of writing this I am just a new abridger with only 1 episode out, but I am an experienced anime reviewer. I have been making anime reviews since 2008 showing copyrighted clips of the anime I review - which while not exactly identical to making an abridged series, will have the same principles when it comes to dodging copyright claims. Even after 4 years I've never been suspended and currently my account is in good standing with 0 strikes, but as with everything these techniques will help, but nothing is 100% guaranteed.

What Shows Are Safe?

So the first thing to consider with abridged series is of course...what series are you abridging? Every series has a different tolerance when it comes to copyright - there are some series that get flagged after you play a tenth of the opening song, and some series where you can upload whole episodes and no one gives a crap. So how do you know which ones are safe?

The first thing I advise you to check is who owns the licensing to that show since in the time I've been doing this there are patterns to which companies are safe, and which ones aren't.

Funimation - I've never seen anyone have a problem with funimation so if you're doing one of their shows, I think you'll be safe.

Starz Media/Manga Ent - Half and half, you might get a claim but they are pretty reliable when it comes to counter claims. (In fact, I am working with them now cause they discovered one of my videos through a counter claim, but thats a different story entirely)

Aniplex - Try to avoid aniplex, though if you are desperate you can still get around it using techniques I will explain later.

Ghibli - A BIG FAT NO. Don't touch Ghibli shows with a ten foot barge pole, even if its a short clip

Sentai -I see there are full episodes of sentai shows on YT so I'm assuming they don't give a crap.

Older Shows - normally are ok unless they are super famous films like Akira and Ghost in the shell.

I'd say the biggest risk is if you want to abridge a show that is new and not licensed or currently airing, then it's likely that japanese companies are dealing with the copyright claims, and speaking from experience they can be a massive pain - especially if the show is popular.

The easiest way to check is to do a quick YouTube search of that anime for clips, and depending on how many results there are it'll give you an idea. If you can find long clips or sometimes full episodes, you know you'll be safe, but if you even have trouble finiding the opening or ending - you know you're going into a copyright red zone. For example, at the moment you can find the entire series of Highschool of the Dead on YouTube, yet I know people who have been suspended cause they used a thumbnail of "Sword Art Online" in their video. Keep in mind that licenses may change over time and so will their policy to copyright.

How to edit around Copyright

What if you want to abridge a show or use a song in an episode that you know has a high chance of getting flagged? Well there are ways around that too, though you might need to sacrifice a bit of your presentation to achieve it.

The first thing to know is that most copyright claims are automated. What this means is YouTube have several ?bots? that automatically search for copyrighted video/audio content that has been registered on their site, rather than a team of trained monkey?s endlessly watching for copyrighted stuff. This means you can get around this automated detection through clever editing of your video and audio in case you want to use movie/anime clips or songs.

Luckily I've already made a video explaining the basics of how to do this. Keep in mind this video was made as a guide for anime reviewers, but like I said before the principles of editing the content should be the same.

I think that's everything I consider when dealing with copyright on YouTube. Hopefully this helps you avoiding any claims altogether, so you don't have to go through that BS process of counterclaiming and having to wait about 3 weeks to get your stuff back.

- Gigguk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gigguk's post
10-25-2012, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2014 10:27 AM by Truthordeal.)
RE: How to avoid getting copyright claims on YouTube
Quote:Funimation - I've never seen anyone have a problem with funimation so if you're doing one of their shows, I think you'll be safe.

For Funimation, they're typically cool with parodies and avoid taking down most, but they have asked in the past that people include disclaimers. I think that was when TFS was taken down, but I'm not sure. Either way, you're right. They're a very good company to work with.
Quote:The first thing to know is that most copyright claims are automated. What this means is YouTube have several ?bots? that automatically search for copyrighted video/audio content that has been registered on their site, rather than a team of trained monkey?s endlessly watching for copyrighted stuff. This means you can get around this automated detection through clever editing of your video and audio in case you want to use movie/anime clips or songs.

As I'm sure 1Kids'll tell you, this seems to be one of the biggest misconceptions about Youtube copyright. Thank you for pointing it out.

Very good guide overall. Stickied.

[Image: DIkziCj.png?1]

Twitter: Truthordeal

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
10-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Already read it on your Tumblr, but thanks for posting it again here Smile

Thanks for all the good times.
[Image: e8809baecb.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-26-2012, 07:00 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2012 07:02 PM by TheAwesomeDarkNinja.)
(10-25-2012 03:15 PM)Truthordeal Wrote:  For Funimation, they're typically cool with parodies and avoid taking down most, but they have asked in the past that people include disclaimers. I think that was when TFS was taken down, but I'm not sure. Either way, you're right. They're a very good company to work with.

That being said, the main problem with TFS (and this still goes on), is that they have the unfortunate burden of having content also belonging to TOEI Animation. Now TOEI makes absolute sure that none of their content is ever uploaded - ever.

I have just added to your conversation.
[Image: ajdodwp.gif]

10-26-2012, 08:36 PM
'cept that TFS hasn't had any copyright troubles from Toei since that one time years ago. And that's mostly because Kaiser used raw Japanese footage.

"Every man's heart one day beats its final beat, his lungs breath their final breath. And if what that man did in his life, makes the blood pulse through the body of others, and makes them believe deeper in something larger than life, then his essence, his spirit, will be immortalized by the storytellers, by the loyalty, by the memory, of those who honor him and make whatever the man did live forever."
10-27-2012, 12:08 PM
I think TFS is an exception since normally japanese companies don't really care about this situation and most claims for japanese companies comes from 'bots' as I explained earlier. However, if you are TFS and get millions of views for your episodes then that would be enough for them to take notice. I'm sure most people don't have this problem though

My YouTube Channel
10-27-2012, 12:47 PM
I've had tons of problems with Shogakukan Productions since I abridged Zoids years ago, and I'm not sure if it's because Zoids has no international license or if they are just dicks for the sake of being dicks.

10-28-2012, 07:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2012 07:51 AM by LightningCrabz.)
(10-25-2012 01:15 PM)Gigguk Wrote:  Starz Media/Manga Ent - Half and half, you might get a claim but they are pretty reliable when it comes to counter claims.

I've been parodying Ghost in the Shell for about 2 years now, and from my experience, Starz (and Bandai, who both own it) aren't nearly that lax. It was bots at first, but now I get issued DMCA takedowns from both companies. Episodes 1-3 on my channel were taken down 1 at a time (for 3 weeks) as they were released, via a DMCA takedown from Starz. I counter-claimed them all, and within 3 weeks the ban would be erased and episodes re-upstated. But shortly into production of Ep4, Bandai came in and issued a takedown on my videos all at once. So instead of doing 1 at a time like Starz, they just waited till I had more and got my account banned in one fell swoop.

Most recently with Ep4 out, it was immediately DMCA'd by Starz. That one took a full month to get back up. And it still hasn't been issued a takedown yet by Bandai. Guess they're saving it.

S10's Ghost in the Shell Abridged
My Personal YT Account
Twitter
11-05-2012, 11:11 AM
@lightningcrabz

Ok, heres the thing with Starz. Yes you WILL get an automated DMCA claim from starz, since exactly the same thing happened to me when I used GitS footage in my video. Its annoying but thats how the bots work on YT. What I'm trying to say is that you can be pretty sure they won't decline your counter claim, and once that happens the video won't be claimed by them again.

I'm current partnered with Starz and this an example of how screwed up the automated detection is on youtube:

[Image: AyiUanyCMAEmOPK.jpg:large]

Obviously I don't own berserk and nor does starz, but cause i used footage of it in a review, any uploaded footage with is identical to the footage I use will be detected.

BANDAI is a totally different ball game and are an absolute nightmare to deal with if your videos are under their copyright licensing, and I would normally say avoid. The ONLY reason I didn't include them in the guide is cause they have sort of died and are not active anymore with licensing anime....so I am not not sure which shows if ANY they are still claiming.

My YouTube Channel
11-05-2012, 01:03 PM
A good way to get out of having DMCA disputes is by expanding the entire video scale to be slight bigger than the original content.

This operation is also effective in removing logos or subtitles in episodes.

Blue Dragon Abridged Episode 1 actually is a Japanese English sub'd raw stretched...

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)